Pages

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.

A new quote for today:

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. ~Seneca the Younger

Seneca was a philosopher, dramatist, statesman, and tutor in Spain and Rome during the lifetime of Jesus of Nazareth. It is said that his plays had great influence on the art of Renaissance tragedy. This quote more eloquently expresses an unpopular and mostly unspoken theory I have held since my youth.

What if, just WHAT IF, most religions were originally developed as a way for leaders to control their communities. Religious texts tend to lay down the laws that typically govern societies (don't kill, steal, cheat, lie, etc) and keep the followers on a straight and narrow path. I'm no expert on religion, and I'm not denying the existence of some HIGHER PURPOSE or BEING in the world. I'm just saying, WHAT IF . . . .

Have you ever thought about it? Is it a possibility? Perhaps I'm just paranoid that powerful people are always trying to control others and make them do their bidding.

3 comments:

Mrs. Chili said...

I'm chiming in to say that I don't think this theory is paranoid AT ALL. Just look at our country for the last 8 years if you've got any doubts about it...

Cari Dunn said...

excellent quote and ITA with it but it's too darn early to think about religion right now

Beth is wfg said...

It perfectly expresses my thoughts on religion. No doubt about it. Mind you, RELIGION not spirituality.