Pages

Monday, June 16, 2008

Thinking about starting up a book club

I'm not sure what I want to do with this idea yet, but it seems that a lot of my friends and I enjoy reading and recommending books to one another - trading and passing on and discussing books. I'm not sure if we would be able to be organized enough, though, to agree on a book for a month and meet to discuss it. Maybe something more informal. I am open to suggestions.

One idea I had was a book swap club, where we could have some sort of bulletin board or group. We would have a database listing each book we had available to trade or swap or lend out. Maybe, for instance, since I am finished with "Late Bloomer", I would list that on the database under my name and that I am offering it up. I think it would be cool to list inside the cover who has read the book and passed it along to another friend. Then we could discuss it on our group messages or bulletin board. One problem is that I'm most familiar with Yahoo groups and I have (at least) one stubborn friend who refuses to use Yahoo. I guess I should look into what other similar services might be offered by Google.

In put please?

4 comments:

Simple Blog Writer said...

Have you checked out bookcrossing.com? Great fun to release books into the wild.

Mrs. Chili said...

I belong to two book clubs - one online (the Dark and Stormy Book Club dot com!) and one in real life. I LOVE being members of these clubs; both of them offer me different perspectives, we read different books, and we all recognize that the intention is to have a good time reading and talking about books.

Good luck with the organization!

Lanie said...

ok SBW - you've done it again. I am LOVING bookcrossing.com! I shall never leave my PC again!

Cari Dunn said...

google has groups.