Pages

Friday, April 25, 2008

Schools

I'm a helper, really I am!

It's difficult for me to understand that other people are not driven to help others, or their schools, or their community. I just can't figure it out. Now,I don't volunteer for every cause that comes along, but I have my pet causes and charities that I like to help. For the last couple of years I have been doing a lot at CC's school.

Next year she'll be switching schools to a private school, but I still feel drawn to volunteer at our public school. Reactions from people have been varied. Possibly some of the school staff may be disappointed that they still have to deal with my wackiness without the perk of my lovely daughter's winning personality, who knows? I'm sure I'll spend some time at the new school as well, but I will miss the kids from Crossgates, and the teachers, principal, and other volunteers as well. Besides that, I know they need all the help they can get with budget cutbacks, et cetera. A lot of people seem to think I'm crazy anyway, but particularly for volunteering at a school that my kid doesn't attend.

Maybe some of it is also the guilt that sending my kid to private school does take money away from the public school funding. I seriously don't understand the logic behind that since I'm paying tuition and yet still paying taxes to the school. I would rather the money continue going to the school because it's an investment in the future of our community. I just don't get why the state takes funding away from schools that are losing students. It seems backwards. Perhaps if they would invest in the schools so that they could retain the students, it would make a difference. That said, I will blog later more detail about why we are changing schools.

No comments: