Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

My American Girl

Here is the picture of my girl (dd) with her girl (AGD), wearing matching outfits recently created by my BFFRose (Mandy).




"American Girl’s mission is to celebrate girls. We embrace who they are today and look forward to who they will become tomorrow.

Since the first catalogue debuted in 1986, American Girl has provided inspiring products for each stage of a young girl’s development—from her preschool days of baby dolls and fantasy play through her tween years of self-expression and individuality. Through an array of premium-quality books, dolls, clothes, toys, and accessories, American Girl has earned the loyalty of millions of girls and the praise and trust of parents and educators." This excerpt was snagged from The American Girl Website.

In a world of SpongeBobs and Rugrats, Britney Spears and round-the-clock daycare - there is little wholesome entertainment for America's youth. My first reaction to the American Girl products was "HOLY MOLEY! That's a lotta cash!" but as I researched and experienced the dolls, movies, books, and other products, I was won over. The American Girl products are worth every dime that parents invest in them! The dolls are extremely sturdy, as are the clothing and accessories that accompany them. The writing and artwork in the books are unsurpassed. Bindings are tough and the pages are crisp even after years of being loved. Each movie I've seen has been "instant classic" quality on my list.

The website is my favorite part! It is so well structured and easy to use, that I visit it often. I make a point to visit each month and check out the montly specials, some of which are 1/2 off deals on very cute stuff! The "Fun for Girls" section is incredible with mind-stimulating games and character-related activities.

Oh, have I not mentioned the Historical Characters? My personal favorite is Kit, who grew up in the 1930's, during the Great Depression. Kit Kittredge is roughly the same age as my mother. Reading about Kit's fictional experiences has opened up an entire new world for my daughter and I, in addition to a plethera of discussion topics with my mother, who has lived with us for the last few years. Yes, that's right - American Girl Company has enriched our trans-generational relationship. I can't say enough about it.

Needless to say, I am looking forward to someday visting the actual store in Chicago some day. I know this will be shocking to some who have known my as a miser for so many years, but sometimes (like with CM and AGD) quality is worth the price.

3 comments:

Wonder Woman said...

We have the paper dolls. I have a set framed in Nats room :)

Candy said...

I think I enjoyed them more than my daughter did. I wanted (want) every single one of the accessories.

Cari Dunn said...

I used to read the books when I was a kid. I can't wait for Kota to get her very own doll!