Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Keeping perspective

We believe......
that each and every person is important....
that all people should be treated fairly and kindly....
that we should accept one another and keep on learning together....
that each person must be free to search for what is true and right in life....
that all persons should have a vote about the things that concern them....
in working together for a peaceful, fair, and free world....
in caring for our planet earth, the home we share with all living things.


No, I'm not running for president - believe me, I have learned me lesson about running for office! The biggest danger is that sometimes you get elected and then people expect you do actually function in that office, despite any outside or internal challenges.

Instead, the platform above was copied from The Unitarian Universalist Principles (kids' version). Too often, Americans are concerned about the rights and priveleges owed to them. Maybe it's time to step back and question our basic duties as human beings. What do we owe to others, to our environment, to ourselves? I've found that the one thing that brings me out of depression quicker than anything else is to simply stop wallowing and go find something I can do for somebody else. I owe this to my daughter, her school, our community. They owe me next to nothing in comparison. I have to keep perspective.

1 comment:

Beth is wfg said...

It's a good reminder, especially on days I'm down. I do love what the UU has to say about so many things...

btw, tag, you're it. check out my blog.