Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A rant about choices.

This week is our school's fall book fair! Oh, how I love the school's twice-yearly Scholastic Book Fairs! These are my favorite times of the school year. It's only sad that some parents can't scrape up a dollar or two to get a book for their kid! How frustrating! It reminds me of when I worked at Kroger and people would come through the checklanes with packs upon packs of cigarettes, and then deny their child a 99-cent Little Golden Book because they couldn't "afford it".

Um, well, YEAH you can afford it people! It appears that you could put back a pack of the generic cancer sticks and get your kid a freakin' book! Why not just say to the kid "My addiction is more important to me than your intellectual and emotional benefit, so I choose not to purchase you a book - why don't you go snort some coke and leave me alone?" Okay, so I can be a bit dramatic when I paraphrase for others. So sue me! (Note: I was working while I was in college - yes they still had some children's books for $1 then.) Or wait, how about letting your hair go back to it's natural color and save the Ms. Clairol for another day? Oh wait, I'm sorry - you probably need that Budweiser worse than your kid needs an education. Doh! What was I thinking?

Okie dokie, I'll put my soapbox away for now. I have to let other people make their own choices, even if they are not the same as the [right] ones that I would make. Who am I to judge these parents *ahem*losers!*ahem*? Buy the kid a dang book!

2 comments:

Beth is wfg said...

And there you have the biggest reasons that I don't give in to my urge to put highlights in my hair and why I only get my haircut about once a year....or is that laziness? Well, the second one is probably more laziness than anything else. lol.

I bought Jillian a book today...but shhh....it's for her birthday! Don't tell her!

Anonymous said...

I won't be looking at my book fair the same way after reading this!!!
Good thing I don't buy beer or Ms clairol from Kroger!!!!